Wednesday, July 16, 2008

Networking: I tried that once!

In a few conversations people have said to me, "Networking. I tried that, but it didn't work"

On the last occasion I asked what the person meant. He said "I spent a few months attending lots of events, but no one gave me any business"

I asked a few questions back including;

"Did you refer any business to anyone else?"
"Did you have any follow up conversations?"
"Did you have any 121 meetings?"

The answer was 'no' to each one.

It's a common misconception that networking is just about meeting people at events and somehow business happens. It isn't like that, it's about building relationships. As Andy Lopata commented on my earlier post 'What is Networking' it is about collaboration, mutual support and teamwork.

Good Networking!
Dave Clarke
Get 7 networking secrets for business success

business networking | business networking events | virtual board