Friday, April 25, 2008

What are people really hearing?

You can often find that people hear something altogether different from the message you think you are conveying.

I was at a Business Networking Event recently when someone gave a very convincing pitch. He then said something I disagreed with so I said that. He responded with;

"You have misunderstood me. It is an irrefutable fact that..."

I probably had misunderstood him, and so I apologised. My lasting impression is not the pitch, however, it is the impression of being told I was wrong and he was right. Not an ideal way to start a relationship.

I remember hearing from someone who said that the meaning of our communication is the response we get. If you are not getting the right response then maybe get some of your trusted contacts to give you some good honest feedback. You can then adjust, or not, accordingly.

Good Networking!
Dave Clarke
Get 7 networking secrets for business success

business networking | business networking events | virtual board